Friday, February 11, 2011

Biking Blitz - Sunday February 6th

The first race of the new season was held on Sunday last in Ballinastoe. It was the 1st of a three race series around the Irish Trail Centres and was organized by Niall Davis. Niall is one of the good guys so I was keen to turn up and support the event.
I always feel that it’s really important to be very careful about diet and nutrition in the 24 hours leading up to a race so on Saturday evening I went to the Blue Light to watch Ireland play Italy in the Six Nations. Six large bottles of Bulmers was followed by an Indian from The Bombay Pantry ….. surely the diet of champions? Personally I think that there should be a Cycling Ireland rule regarding the proximity of mtb races to International rugby matches!
Sunday morning was very windy and the weather wasn’t great either!! Feeling a little delicate I headed to Ballinastoe! When I got there the wind was howling and it was raining on and off …. hardly inspiring! Parking was down in the Golf Club but thankfully Stewart had his van in the paddock and let me leave my gear there for the day. Despite the conditions there was a huge crowd at sign on and the Red Bull DJ was doing his best to get everybody going. I love the buzz before a race and it’s always great to catch up with people you haven’t seen for a while.
After a half lap warm up I was beginning to feel better and was looking forward to the racing! The first climb in Ballinastoe is always horrible and Sundays race was no exception, Jackson and Stevo quickly passed me, I tried to stay with them but not for long! We followed the usual Ballinastoe route and the track was riding well despite the conditions. The wind at the top of the mountain was incredible, where you start to drop downhill as you come out of the forest we had to pedal really hard just to go forward! The rocky sections on the way down were also wet and very slippy – I had a couple of major “dabs” (ie. falls) on them!
At the end of the 1st lap coming down towards the paddock I heard a “I’m right behind you Lynchey” and looked around to see Paul Barry from IMBRC! Now Paul would normally be well ahead of me by that stage of a race so I was pleased to see him behind but less pleased with the way he was carving into my lead! I managed to get onto the fire road ahead of him and started to pull away again on the 1st and further again on the 2nd climb. By the time I started on the downhill singletrack he was nowhere to be seen so I forgot about him!!! Imagine my disgust when, in exactly the same place, as the previous lap I hear “I’m behind you again Lynchey”. I would normally be very good about letting people pass in a race but there was no way Barry was getting through at that stage! I was a half decent front row forward in my day and made myself very wide again on Sunday! I managed to get across the line about 2 metres ahead of him …. Happy Days!


Rudolf, Conor and Stewart apparently had a great dice!

Overall I finished 40th out of 94 starters in the Senior race so was reasonably pleased! A number of people remarked how well I was climbing but I was as slow as ever on the single track particularly where it was slippery! I finished ahead of a few people who would normally beat me but still feel I’ve got plenty more improvement in me!
Everybody seemed to have had a great days racing and the “all weather” nature of Ballinastoe meant that the whole track was perfectly rideable in very poor conditions. Next race for me is the 795 Leinster League Race ….. bring it on!!

Overall winner "The Greg" shows that even in baggy shorts he's the real deal!


2 comments:

  1. Nice report there Richard. looking forward to seeing you in Bunclody on March 20th

    David F

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good man Richard, you dont look a day over 49 !

    ReplyDelete