Saturday, January 22, 2011

F**k me that was sore ...... and expensive!

Probably not going to make the Epic Savage Spin tomorrow and work was quiet so I thought I'd get a decent spin on the road today. Shankill - Hill of Howth - Shankill seemed like a nice idea so I headed off at about 12.30pm.
Conditions were fairly cold and the roads were damp but nothing to worry about .......! N11, Rock Road, Ringsend, East Link - going nicely, 27-28kms per hour, feeling really good. Heading down the East Wall Road, moved over to turn right onto the Alfie Byrne Road, tipped the bike in and .............I was on the tarmac sliding down the road!
I've no idea what happened, one second I was on the bike the next on the ground! The bike just went from under me - I'm guessing that corner gets a lot of truck traffic and maybe there was diesel mixed in with the water but I didn't get a chance to correct, brake or anything else! I landed on my foot, knee, hip and elbow, at the same time..... bloody sore!
The good news is that my bike hardly got a scratch - scuffed bar tape and 2 tiny scrapes on the right brake lever and the derailleur. Myself and my cycling gear didn't fare so well - road rash for knee, hip and elbow and holes in my overshoes, tights and Assos jacket (boohoo!!)

Ah well... back on the bike and continued out to Howth. The climb from the Sutton side isn't too bad at all, certainly no worse than the Windgates climb we do on a Thursday night! Back down through the village and back towards home. Apart from my little mishap a really nice spin and one I'll definately do again ..... just over 65kms and about 2.5 hours ..... great on a summers evening!

P.S. As an aside - the reason I probably won't make the spin tomorrow is that I'm going to my first girlfriend's 50th tonight! Obviously she was much older than me but God I'm getting on!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment